Monday, April 4, 2016

Entrepreneurship:If It's Both Terrifying & Amazing You Should Definitely Pursue It!



entrepreneur noun -[ahn-truh-pruh-nur] 


1. a person who organizes and manages any enterprise, especially business, usually with considerable initiative and risk.

2. an employer of productive labor; contractor



When I was a senior in college, I remember sitting in Julie Bell's office, she was my advisor the last 4 years, she asked if I wanted to get an emphasis in Entrepreneurship. I couldn't get a minor or a major so I stopped listening after that. It also wouldn't really count towards much, but taking more of my money. I remember thinking to myself I will NEVER own my own business, like ever. Little did I know... I also had to take so many credits in Business, why the f did I care? Still, never going to own my own business. I took a few that were awful and made no sense. How could organization and management be hard, I am the queen of organizing? Well, it was and it was awful and anyone can attest to how awful it was. Luckily, for me, my husband had to take quite a lot of business classes to get an Animal Science Business major. Let me tell you, he is the only person I know that manages money like a boss. I know no adult who is financial established and savvy like this man and like I said, I am damn lucky for him. 

Now to the answer of "Why do I want to be an entrepreneur?"

My summer spent with ACV2 architecture I got to watch a woman go from her basement office and getting her foot into the door to being one exclusive woman who is busy with her family and the office. How could I not be inspired to be something or someone? It will forever stick in my mind that they predicted my future after I left - - and it is exactly what I am doing now. 

Some say being so busy and making the sound of being exhausted from hustling [for your business] is a bad thing, we are putting that look on a per say pedestal. I am not the person to say that to. I work three jobs, one being my own business that I have built myself, I have a beautiful gray highlight coming in I am learning to embrace and a lot of insomnia (that's the thing about creative people, we never seem to sleep). But I am not just a number, not just 1 of 4,157 people just "living" in Pipestone. I do not want to just be a number. I am 25 year old, educated, woman that has an upcoming, successful business and nothing is more invigorating as that. I think we need to step back and look at what it takes to get what you want; that you may need to run on fumes and have sleepless nights to succeed and build your dreams. You cannot sit on the sideline and watch it slip through the cracks. In college we were getting time management pounded into our brains, but still, if you didn't have sleepless where you felt at your wits end you wouldn't find yourself walking down at commencement. Moral of the story; I wanted to work hard and knew I had to become an Entrepreneur. 

I moved to a new town with a fresh face, a fresh look, and a fresh mind; I had to put it to work. I am passionate about what I do and it is important for me to push myself to the limits to make it successful. I went from being no one here to a familiar face, I had a name, and I was impacting my community in some way. I don't ever want to be in big box stores, I don't want mass production; but I do want to be a part of my community, I do want to be entrepreneur who built her own business, who can do a little relaxing because she worked her tail off to get where she wanted to be, and be a Pipestone area household name.  In less than three years, I was featured on two blogs for two different topics, I was featured in the newspaper, I became a role model to my beautiful, young kids at the dance studio, I became a face at a local retail store that is greeted with smiles and stories about the grandkids, I redesigned one of the places Pipestone prides itself on, I became a Chamber member, I've sold products from one coast to the other, and I became more than "that Prunty Farm's girl." Moral of this story: I am becoming more than just someone, I have become an Entrepreneur. 

Soooooo, what is the big answer? 

I love the sense of accomplishment when someone says to me that they couldn't wait to see what I had come up with and take it home with them. I love being my own boss and the freedom of being able to be creative how I want to be and on my time. I love the excitement I feel every time we make something unreal and it becomes a hit. I love that I can be completely nuts, entrepreneurs are some of the biggest risk takers, we pretty much sit there with a handful of cash and lay it all on the line without knowing what could happen. I am always learning, always researching, and always on the look out for things to fill my brain with, to see what could be next thing. I love being able to work with clients/customers that share the same love for things. The list could go on, but that is why I wanted to be an entrepreneur. 


With all that said! 

This last week we had a sale, it went absolutely great for us! We hear the buzz around town that people heard about us, their friend told them about our products, they saw it on Facebook, they came just for LC Design; what a great feeling! As always, we are still making custom orders and requests for people after the show. It happens every time and we love it! Tonight we have the Chamber banquet and this was a great day to reflect on all the why's of what we do.
Also, we went from 380-sh likes on Facebook last week to 426 this week. That's kind of a big deal. And one of our posts reached over 1,500 people....also a pretty big deal for being a non-brick and mortar business that started less than a year ago. We already have plans shows this summer, details to come as they near. 

xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment