Monday, July 25, 2016

#WeAreOTA

Well, I figured I should get started with this post! 

I decided to apply for the OTA Trailblazer program in June when the application announcement came out. My favorite people of AcV2 architecture were in the Builders program for OTA prior and I was inspired by a lot of those builders because I could really relate to what they were doing and even reached out to one, Karina, who felt pretty similar in life and took the dive in starting fresh with a new business. I texted Patri and was like, "hey, do you think I should apply to become a Trailblazer for OTA's new program?" she replied "yes, do it! They want people just like you and will fall head over heels for you." 

So I did. 

It took me about 2 weeks to fill out the application because I am a person who second guesses my responses and how I spill them out. I feel like they needed to be just right for them to even consider me.

I finally submitted it.

I then received an email from them: I was a finalist. 

It was so exciting. I then started preparing for the interview. I wrote down so many possibilities and how I wanted to see things in a very non-age appropriate puppy notebook my mom bought me. I got the FaceTime call and there they sat Hugh and Angela. They said that had one question, yup, one. For a person who took 2 weeks to finish their application and has 957 things to say about one topic, thats difficult. What was the one question, have no clue. I totally do not remember. So afterwards I felt I was screwed, but I guess I had tried and wanted to stay positive. 

The next day I got a phone call, of which I probably sounded confused because it sounded muffled at first, and it was Hugh asking if I would like accept the title of Trailblazer. Well, yes!!!! So it was super exciting and I couldn't wait to tell everyone. 

Next day came and I woke up thinking what the hell did I get myself into. I quit my job like a month ago, I just started my business full time, I had a show coming up in less than a month, I had a zillion orders to fill for Minnesota Thin Blue Line pieces, and I was just chosen as a Trailblazer. I think I experienced my first anxiety attack and to this day I am finally coming down. It was so bad I was driving to the farm and almost had to pull over because I thought I was having a heart attack. I even scheduled a doctors appointment. I had my blood tested and everything came back negative but now I am a 26 year old on high blood pressure pills, really it was a matter of time because my genetics tell me so, but three weeks later I think I am finally coming down from the high and anxiety. 

So, now what does this all mean?! 

Well it means that I just had a meeting with five other Trailblazers, Hugh, and Angela this last week. 


I also met with Erica and Tom at the Chamber about some ideas 


And also met with some other fine people to talk about the next things going on with OTA and ideas.

Welllllll, what are they?! 

For my focus, I want young generations and young(er) entrepreneurs, and this community to know I want to inspire others to know Pipestone and the community can be home to success and to successful business people. Pipestone is full of a bunch of potential and sometimes I feel it may go unrecognized or misjudged. We all want Pipestone to be a great place but we have to be willing to welcome the great ideas and push the potential to see we want their ideas. So I hope to integrate some new things/ideas, but also act as a "role model," and I use that term lightly because I still feel like I'm not old enough to be one or have the credentials though I really know I do/am.  If you want to read more on this you can go to my application and wait for this upcoming Pipestone County Star to come out. Also just wait, see, and follow my journey of this experience of stepping totally outside my comfort zone. 

What happens now?

This Wednesday I will be taking over OTA Instagram. I will be taking pictures of things through out my day so be prepared to see meetings, Pipestone, Duke the doggie, the Prunty house/LC Design workshop, projects, lots of food, maybe some dancing and a whole lotta whatever seems share worthy! Then August 22nd OTA will be coming to Pipestone to have an OTA Conversation aka: celebrate me becoming a Trailblazer and advocating for Pipestone. This will also include a little dinner with people of the community who may be able to help me achieve this for our community and have some great conversations. In October I will be heading to the Black Hills (HOME!) to be a part of OTA:Black Hills event and then in November I will be attending the OTA Finale in Sioux Falls. In between all of that I will be working on little projects to help Pipestone thrive and advocating for Pipestone as a community. 

I am really excited to be a part of this and hope it really brings out the best! 

With all that said, our next show probably won't be until fall or maybe even winter due to being so busy. This doesn't mean we won't stop creating and selling but just not being at shows. Until next time friends! 

xoxo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment