Wednesday, January 4, 2017

New Year, Bring on 2017

Here we are, 2017!


I have reflected a lot back on the last year for about a month now. Sometimes you just have to do that to really let it sink in on how fortunate you are and just how grateful you should be. I count my blessings every single day.

This post will look back at big things in 2015 as a whole for me; personal and business things I think about on a daily and things I am thankful for on a daily because man, has it been a doozie!

1. Business.
   Business has been great! We have got to look back at LC Design last year vs this year and we've increased our sales by 287%, which is pretty great. We took our pieces to 5 different shows in 3 different towns. We've have purchased news pieces of equipment and learned new skills for our business to evolve into something even better. We've met so many new customers, had our amazing reoccurring customers, and those reoccurring refer us to others. Not to mention; we got a facelift! Our new logo looks beautiful and Brian did a phenomenal job on it. I feel even better about my businesses look and feel so professional now--haha. We can only hope that 2017 brings even better things!



2. OTA.
   I submitted my OTA application a few days before my birthday and leaving for Okoboji, I was so nervous! It took me about 2 weeks to finish the application, not because it was difficult, but because I really wanted to make sure it was just right. Not long after returning I was contacted by Hugh, OTA founder, that I was going to be interviewed by him and Angela. I was interviewed and then contacted the next day asking if I would like to accept the offer of being named OTA: Trailblazer for the last round of OTA, to leave legacy for the OTA story. Of course I did! And I was terrified after that! I literally have never had a panic/anxiety attack but I am pretty sure I did that next day. I had to ask myself what the f did I get myself into. From there, I really tried my best to immerse myself in my community that I already loved and to find my purpose even more. I feel like OTA has helped me grow and step out of my comfort zone. I got to host the Backyard Business BBQ and so many small business people attended, got to connect with each other, and had a great time. OTA hosted a Conversation dinner for me and I got to invite 25-ish people from the community; it really was a great night to connect with so many individuals who have impacted this community in some way. It all is still a work in progress, but a fabulous one. I got to be on stage for the OTA: Black Hills event and talk about LC Design and advocating for Pipestone. I attended the OTA:Finale and got to be inspired by so many creative, storytelling individuals. So many things I learned about myself and fellow creatives through this--and the friendships, oh the friendships that were formed. Possibility is endless. I will never, ever, forget this experience.









(Photo Credit: Kelsey Barker Photography)

3. Pipestone.
   A weird one, but totally makes the list. Pipestone is the community I came to a few years ago with a bitter taste in my mouth and so much unsure(ity?) of my future here. What was I to do?! Well, it has become more than just my home; it has become where lifelong friendships have been formed, where I have immersed myself into the people and the history, where I have become a part of a business community, a community where I can connect with some many different people on so many different levels. During the Backyard Business BBQ I was approached to stage a home for the Historic Homes Holiday Homes Tour, super exciting to be asked to do! I have so enjoyed being a part of the Strategic Planning and the Community Outreach for Pipestone future. Pipestone has allowed me to become so much more involved than I had ever imagined for myself. I have been fortunate enough to grace the pages of the Pipestone County Star six times this year! I felt like I needed my own column after I accepted my OTA:Trailblazer project. It really makes you feel like you are not going unnoticed; sometimes there was push back from people, but mostly kind words and people telling me I was just what Pipestone needed. I hope that others in my community decide to leap out into it. Like I am always saying, we are the brand of Pipestone; we are the faces, the stories, the reason Pipestone is what it is--so make it what you want people to see, know, and tell. 






4. Duke.
   Could we not talk about my pup? Our life with dogs has not been a very smooth one. We lost Case a little over a year ago and the same month of Case's passing, maybe even the day of, Duke contracted a nasty, nasty fungal infection that has been a fight for him to get rid of, we really hope we kick this fungus' ass and we get back to a new normal life. This month we will be saying good-bye to the eye this fungus took the sight from and say hello to Duke's new one eyed face. We will do anything for this guy to have a normal life because just one year of normalcy is not something we will settle for that easily. Currently, we are dealing with eaten toy we had no idea about. Just has to keep us on our toes. New year, new problem ;)


(Photo Credit: Julie Carrow)


5. Minnesota Farm Living.
   Second year in a row I was a guest blogger/feature of the Minnesota Farm Living Blog. This year was on "How Do Farm Wives Survive Fall Harvest." This was a great post that I was so happy to be involved in; a lot of women struggle in finding that happy-medium as a farm wife. It totally has resonated with a lot of people and also, gave a glimpse to those who aren't really sure what it is like.

6. Thin Line Pieces. 
   The Thin Blue/Red Line pieces were one of our favorite pieces to work with this year. With 2016 being awful for supporting those who risk their lives for us every day and in any situation, we wanted to honor them. The outpouring love from people all over the Midwest was more than I can put into words, literally, no adjective can explain it. We were sending them out by the stacks this summer, 43 to be exact. With that, we donated a portion of our sales to the C.O.P.S Organization--Minnesota Chapter, we donated pieces to fire stations and police stations, and to fundraisers for police officers in need. It was one of my favorite things I have done in my life.




So what is in store for us this year?

It is always a great question! First, we plan on doing more shows than usual. We are already drawing up new ideas, picking new pieces up, looking at different places we never done a show before, and we are hoping to do one larger show this year. We will stock up on customer favorite pieces and try out new stuff we have in the works! Second, we are collaborating with different professionals this year already--one, we are in the works for doing a mini session with a photographer this summer, I am an extremely excited for this and hope it really materializes, hopefully, more details to come! Third, My handsome husband bought me a beautiful new Canon Rebel camera with that our photos will look a lot better and we may out our online shopping option to  use for easy to ship pieces. Fourth, if you have any suggestions of things you want to see, places you want to shop us at, or just some kind words; shoot them our way! We have so many things stirring in our head that when we get direction, suggestions, and wants/needs for our customers; it means lots and we can cater to you, who this is all for! Thank you guys from the bottom of my heart for an amazing year, we cannot wait to see what 2017 has in store for LC Design!

(Photo Credit: Julie Carrow)
SaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment